Sunday 31 October 2010

ITAP- Lesson 2

I believe that the two main principles i will need to put into my practice is researching information and artists, and understanding the target audience. I will investigate and collect information around a subject. Meanwhile, I will take my camera everywhere i go and start taking photographs of everything and anything. I will collect anything that i find visually interesting because if i do not use something for a project now i could use the information in a future project. In particular, I will collect different type faces; from packaging, rubbish, magazines, newspapers etc. In addition, i will do observational drawings. I will use varies sketchbooks not just for drawings but for notes and sticking stuff in. 

I will also take into account the role of the audience in my practice. Depending on the project or subject; i will research and explore other artists work and how they have used character designs to appeal to a specific audience. I will look at the commercial side when developing logos, type and characters. I will also look at the child-like manner in which my drawings will have to be when the targeted audience is for the younger generation. If i can understand and acknowledge an audience i will be able to deliver the specific communication whether it's an advertisement to give to charity or an advertisement for awareness. I believe if i specify a project with a particular audience i will go far whether its informing, explaining or persuading.
  • Paul Davis is just one of the many illustrators who is obesessed with researching; he retains information and takes photographs to help get a deeper understanding of the subject.
  • Mark Wigan takes rubbings and photographs weird stuff; which is influential to me.
  • Saul Steinberg has influenced me to not care what i collect and also to be inspired by everything as he is inspired by everything. Like; children's drawings, egyptian art, embroidery etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment