Sunday 31 October 2010

ITAP- Lesson 4

Iteration

Is the act of repeating something over and over again. Designers use this method to improve their work because if something is repeated and evaluated better ideas always emerge. It is the intellegent steps towards improvement. The motion in which to repeat one's work is to think, plan, do and evaluate if these steps are repeated more ideas spring up. Iteration is all about trial and error, finding better.
 

Dyson Prototypes
 
One example of this is the creative inventor Mr James Dyson who invented the Dual Cyclone technology and the first bagless vacuum cleaner. He took risks, made mistakes and used his frustration as a fuel for creativity and solving problems. He made 5,126 prototypes within the space of 5 years before he concluded his invention.  

I stumbled across this designers work while researching, his name is Dan Avenell. His work represents problem solving and creative play, you can see some of his commissioned work in his biography and when i took a look at his sketchbook i was very much impressed by the detail of his work and how comic book like it is. One of the comissions he had was for Courvoisier (alcohol), where the finished ad was used in magazine and on billboards. The targetted audience i believe to be is men because of the naked woman wrapped around the bottle, also the general public by the billboard ads. The media used on the final outcome was photography. The white text on black is clear and the type is very grand. Advert has sexual persuasiveness about it. This is very inspiring to me.


The Design
Final Outcome
Reflection
"If you can't find the right answer look for the right question"
When it comes to reflection, being the practioner I will need to engage and ask questions about my work. Self crtitism is needed and annotation to understand or remember my thinking. Visual and textual language have advantages and disadvantages they are very powerful working together. Here is some work for a project I did. The brief was to illustrate the word "Fusion".



 I decided to look at fusing animals together, like forced breeding. My annotation in my RVJ isn't very clear it tells me my thinking process and what I did or going to do next. However, I havn't written any ideas down or disadvantages or advantages about the designs. I also need to show how my work links together. In the future I will make little but relevant annotation; I will also use mind maps and discuss the different communication needed for the right audience.
Development Work

Design Ideas

Overall Image

Bibliography

No comments:

Post a Comment